15.2.08

IS THIS THING ON?



Television painting by my classmate Neil Calendar. Neil now lives in Kentucky. This is an actual painting. Neil has turned his critical, obsessive eye toward rendering television static. This is photo-realistic painting in order to revision how we see the television. It causes the viewer to flicker between the act of looking at painting and the act of looking at television. Seeing a television painting in a gallery plays with our expectations of viewing art in public by presenting what we view in private - late at night, half asleep - a dim, cool glow, and soft white-noise filling the room.

2 comments:

neil said...

Peter, I vainly google-bombed my name and found your blog along with a namesake rugby star. Thanks for the blog spotlight and link. You're maybe the second person who cares. I'm painting in my crickety basement in Louisville and will get you images once something is finished. Seriously think about coming down for Derby. You're invited. You can blog about it.

P.J.S. said...

Sweet, sounds good. I love the Derby and I love blogging. The combo would be totally awesome. Let me know when you've got new images. Good to hear from you.